Direct Access to a Physical Therapist
You do not need a doctor’s referral to start physical therapy.
Since January 1, 2014, California consumers have had Direct Access to physical therapists. This allows you to be evaluated and treated by a licensed Physical Therapist without first seeing your physician for a referral.
There are a number of benefits that come from Direct Access.
- This will give you much quicker access to the treatment you need.
- While each patient case is different, clinical research indicates Direct Access should save you money.
- Your physical therapist will spend up to 60 minutes with you at each session.
- Seeing a physical therapist first, in many cases, will result in fewer overall treatment sessions.
There are some limits to receiving physical therapy under California’s Direct Access legislation.
- Patients must be referred to a licensed health care provider for a diagnosis if physical therapy will exceed 45 days or 12 visits, whichever comes first.
We value the relationship we have with our patients and their physicians. We will continue to foster this relationship by notifying a patient’s physician of our evaluation findings and providing updates on the plan of care as needed.
Please call if you have questions or would like to schedule an appointment. Contact Us.