Direct Access to a Physical Therapist
You do not need a doctor’s referral to start physical therapy.
California consumers have had Direct Access to physical therapy since 2014. You can be evaluated and treated by a licensed Physical Therapist without first seeing your physician for a referral.
Direct Access provides a number of benefits.
- You have much quicker access to the treatment you need.
- Clinical research shows Direct Access can save you money.
- Going to physical therapist first, in many cases, will result in fewer overall treatment sessions.
Direct Access in California does have a time limitation.
- You can only receive physical therapy through Direct Access for 45 days or 12 visits, whichever comes first.
- After 45 days, if you do not have a referral, you would be required to visit your health care provider’s office to obtain a referral, prior to returning to physical therapy.
We value the relationship we have with our patients and their physicians. Even if you come to us without a referral, we would be happy to contact your physician’s office to provide our evaluation report and provide updates on the plan of care at your request.
Please call if you have questions or would like to schedule an appointment. Contact Us.